Supporting LocalThe why and how of local.
Reasons to Support Local
Ways to Support Local
There are a number of ways you can support
- Add your local farm, ranch, or CSA to Local Harvest or another on online local food directory.
- Shop local at least six times a year by supporting the local farmers market, local butcher, local barter or trade, u-pick, or join a local Community Supported Agriculture subscription (CSA).
- Grow local food in a garden (home, community garden, greenhouse, hoop house, etc.).
- Volunteer to help Backyard Harvest or a local food bank/pantry/meal program.
- Serve local produce at your restaurant, special event, or catering business.
- Organize local food swaps and/or other neighborhood events to celebrate the abundance of local produce during the summer.
Enhance my culinary skills by attending a cooking class, following the Local Foods, Local Flavors blog or experimenting with local food in my own kitchen.
- Contribute as a guest writer for the Local Foods, Local Flavors blog: pclocalfoodlocalflavor.org.
- Attend at least three Palouse-Clearwater Food Coalition monthly meetings in the next year.
- Thank your local grocers and restaurants for selling local foods.
- Register your fruit trees or garden with a local gleaning organization OR share with others what you know about the gleaning opportunities. Visit the Story Map to see what is near their location.
- Donate fresh food to a local food pantry
- Reduce your own food waste.
- Join or organize an action team in the community to provide leadership in moving the goals of the PCFC forward.
Attend the annual Palouse-Clearwater Food Summit in January